Last Saturday I came upon M. Lucanius‘ signature in PAlib’s Forums, and a link to his dev blog. Then I looked around drunkencoders and though “Hey! This is what I need!”. I was planning on making a simple web to speak about my doings and release stuff. I was already considered a blog, and then I saw this place.
But question is, am I a drunken coder? However, there was no time to answer since it was Saaaaturday night and so it was time to go outside™.
And so, that night I had:
1 glass of whisky + cola
2 3 shots of Licor Café
1 glass of José Cuervo + cola
1 glass of whisky + cola
So next morning I woke up and said: “Yep, I’m a drunken coder”, and registered.
So, what’s this blog going to be about?
Well, as I already implied before, I’m a member of PAlib. That means I’m doing something about homebrewing for NDS – using PAlib. To be more exactly, and actually saying something, I’m making a videogame. Name is Tanuki Tail, and it’s going to be a zelda-style gameplay adventure. It’s my first game, to be honest, since I absolutely hate Pong (I have, however, made a little dumb game a couple of months ago, I’ll talk about it someday). However, it’s quite an ambitious project. I’m a serious man, you guys. I’m structuring the project in a -I believe- efficient way, and making it as general as possible.
Why? Because I want to release the engine too. I’m coding the game in a way that it loads as much as possible from files from the file system. All the pictures, all the maps, all the sprites, texts, fonts, data, animations, etcetera will be stored in files, and the code will contain only the engine. In fact, once the engine is 98% done, the rest will be map creating, sprite drawing, etc (i.e. create the game files). So far, I really like the outcome. I’m still learning a lot of things, and I’m doing things like finding uses for geometry (really!), but I believe I’m doing really good.
I’ll talk more deeply about it on next posts, but, to help you get an idea of the game engine, the game is 2D, but it geometrically simulates 3D shapes in maps and characters. Each character (this will include npc’s, bullets, items and everything that is not map, actually) will have its own properties (speed, amount of jumps, acceleration, brake, behaviors… everything I came up with). The game can run scripts stored in files (this will have an special mention because I’ve made a general purpose script language maker/script compiler toolkit for that), and apart from that the rest of the features are the typical on a game like this.
About the game, think of a GBA Legend of Zelda where you transform into things rather than using items. This, with the addition of the fact (that I mentioned earlier) that each character have very different behaviours, adds a little twist on the genre.
The game is being made in C with PAlib, although I’m developing it using object-oriented techniques.
So, about releasing the engine and such: the plan is to have three releases when the game is done:
The game itself: a rom with the game you can play.
The game source: practically a copy of my latest project folder, including all the tools I’ve made and used on it. With this, one would create an “own” version of the game, for instance.
The engine source: a “blank” version of the game source, with no maps, texts, scripts, etc, and without all the non-generic stuff (script language implementation, etc).
Well, this is a long post. I’ll leave something for the upcoming ones.